Saturday, January 16, 2010

Another One Bites The Dust

The other day I was riding at Brundage with my brother Cam and Martin Campbell.  We were taking some pow lines at the end of the day that most people had avoided because this particular type of terrain is very difficult to ride.  (Exposed 30ft cliffs with chutes and giant boulder fields).  I dropped a 20ft cliff and rode out with an insane amount of speed through a pillow field ultimately ending in a high speed smashing somersault over a giant boulder at the bottom.  When I got to the cattrack I noticed that something felt wrong, very wrong.  I looked down and I had broken my board in two places, it cracked all the way across in front of each binding.  The board was done for, Martin had lent me the board to ride last season after I destroyed my Burton T6 164.  So in honor of my latest board death I have decided to create a post about all the boards I have destroyed over the many years that I have been snowboarding.  If you have never broken a snowboard, you might not be riding hard enough :)




The Casualties of War


The Option Kevin Sansalone Pro Model.  A 164 wide with a dope photo of Whistler Blackcomb on the topsheet.  I forget how I snapped this one, but, nevertheless it snapped eventually.  I loved this board and have swore by wide boards for pow ever since I had this board.



Cracked behind the binding.



I used gorilla glue to try and repair it, but it didn't really work.


 The Heelside.  I won this board in a raffle at Bogus Basin, a 156cm.  It met it's demise on Utah's Snowbird Mtn. When I ollied over what I thought was going to be a little rock that turned into a giant field of rock, I landed in pure rock crags and front flipped over the rest of the pile, somehow managing not to hit my head.  The board however was toast after that incident.



I took a little bit of the mountain home with me that day.  The rock is still wedged in the base like an Indian tomahawk.


The Baron.  I loved this board.  I got it after I broke my Heelside, a 162 wide.  I snapped it hitting a jump up at Grizzly Gulch, UT in the spring.  I hit the jump a couple of times more with the broken board.



Reverse camber with air pocket technology.



The T6.  This board is the dopest board I have ever ridden.  164 wide. Rode this board for 2-3 seasons at Brighton and Brundage.  I was so pissed when I destroyed it last year about this time in the season.



The damage.  I hit a rock doing a cork 5 off of a cliff.  I thankfully landed on my board and the board took the damage.  It cracked all the way through the metal aluminum honeycomb base and shattered the topsheet.


The Forum 161.  Amazing board, light and snappy and super fun to ride in the pow.  The latest casualty, this board was shredded to shreds and finally just gave in.


Cracked in front of both bindings.  It makes for a really sketchy ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment